Shining Epiphany
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hola Peoplez: Hardware VS Software. Yep

+9
Applepie533
Ddiaxv
5thRibSmite
TerseRat5204
Martin1346
joehammer2009
FlareonMaster
Eagle Eye307
Stormageddon, Dark Lord
13 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Hola Peoplez: Hardware VS Software. Yep - Page 3 Empty Re: Hola Peoplez: Hardware VS Software. Yep

Post by Eagle Eye307 Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:53 pm

Salmarnir wrote:I have school Monday/Thursday, college ftw Very Happy

Lucky... This semester I have an advanced math class every day of the week. Plus four other classes.

Discrete Math (Set Theory) on M/W/F and Calculus 3 on T/Th. I also have Digital Logic and Data Structures which all involve a lot of math.
Eagle Eye307
Eagle Eye307
SE Administrator
SE Administrator

Xbox Account
Xbox Live: Yes
Gamertag: Parrot Wing
Clan Tag: V01

http://shiningepiphany.com

Back to top Go down

Hola Peoplez: Hardware VS Software. Yep - Page 3 Empty Re: Hola Peoplez: Hardware VS Software. Yep

Post by FlareonMaster Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:19 pm

Eagle Eye307 wrote:
Salmarnir wrote:I have school Monday/Thursday, college ftw Very Happy

Lucky... This semester I have an advanced math class every day of the week. Plus four other classes.

Discrete Math (Set Theory) on M/W/F and Calculus 3 on T/Th. I also have Digital Logic and Data Structures which all involve a lot of math.

This year at Full Sail my schedule is one class per month online, 4 days a week (and extended time if necessary during that week) and will remain like this until next August/September. Which is when I will have five day a week classes (also only one class a month) on campus and roughly four hours a day and an additional two-four hours of lab time depending.

I am quite excited about this. First class is Behavioral Science. Very Happy Going to campus in the morning for the tour!
FlareonMaster
FlareonMaster
Ultimate Poster
Ultimate Poster

Xbox Account
Gamertag: FlareonMaster
Clan Tag: V03

https://www.youtube.com/JonOlson94

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle Eye307 Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:34 am

FlareonMaster wrote:This year at Full Sail my schedule is one class per month online, 4 days a week (and extended time if necessary during that week) and will remain like this until next August/September. Which is when I will have five day a week classes (also only one class a month) on campus and roughly four hours a day and an additional two-four hours of lab time depending.

I am quite excited about this. First class is Behavioral Science. Very Happy Going to campus in the morning for the tour!

Nice! I wish I could take my classes one at a time in a condensed form. I'm bad at multitasking...
Eagle Eye307
Eagle Eye307
SE Administrator
SE Administrator

Xbox Account

Back to top Go down

Post by FlareonMaster Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:43 pm

Eagle Eye307 wrote:
FlareonMaster wrote:This year at Full Sail my schedule is one class per month online, 4 days a week (and extended time if necessary during that week) and will remain like this until next August/September. Which is when I will have five day a week classes (also only one class a month) on campus and roughly four hours a day and an additional two-four hours of lab time depending.

Nice! I wish I could take my classes one at a time in a condensed form. I'm bad at multitasking...

Dude!! I went to the campus today for the full behind the scenes tour and it is so amazing! You would honestly love it here at Full Sail! So awesome haha Peter Jackson was here recently to talk to the students as well!
FlareonMaster
FlareonMaster
Ultimate Poster
Ultimate Poster

Xbox Account

Back to top Go down

Post by Desmond Miles Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:32 pm

really wish i was there
Desmond Miles
Desmond Miles
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Xbox Account
Gamertag:
Clan Tag: V06

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle Eye307 Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:47 pm

FlareonMaster wrote:Dude!! I went to the campus today for the full behind the scenes tour and it is so amazing! You would honestly love it here at Full Sail! So awesome haha Peter Jackson was here recently to talk to the students as well!

Sweet, sounds pretty awesome. Very Happy
Eagle Eye307
Eagle Eye307
SE Administrator
SE Administrator

Xbox Account

Back to top Go down

Post by FlareonMaster Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:49 pm

Eagle Eye307 wrote:
FlareonMaster wrote:Dude!! I went to the campus today for the full behind the scenes tour and it is so amazing! You would honestly love it here at Full Sail! So awesome haha Peter Jackson was here recently to talk to the students as well!

Sweet, sounds pretty awesome. Very Happy

Heading home tomorrow. Visiting David and Ray on the way home on Wednesday. Looking forward to heading home, though very excited for work on campus next year. Very Happy
FlareonMaster
FlareonMaster
Ultimate Poster
Ultimate Poster

Xbox Account

Back to top Go down

Post by TerseRat5204 Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:53 pm

Did you got to bubba gumps at universal? It's worth visiting
TerseRat5204
TerseRat5204
Captain
Captain

Xbox Account
Gamertag: TerseRat
Clan Tag: V21

Back to top Go down

Post by FlareonMaster Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:01 pm

TerseRat5204 wrote:Did you got to bubba gumps at universal? It's worth visiting

No, but only because I am not a shrimp fan. haha I love the Forest Gump movie though and I really enjoyed the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Very Happy I will have other chances next year to visit Universal once more.
FlareonMaster
FlareonMaster
Ultimate Poster
Ultimate Poster

Xbox Account

Back to top Go down

Post by TerseRat5204 Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:14 pm

ITS NOT JUST SHRIMP, I know alot of people who go there who are not shrimp fans and have eaten other things that are better than shrimp
TerseRat5204
TerseRat5204
Captain
Captain

Xbox Account

Back to top Go down

Post by FlareonMaster Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:24 pm

Regardless, I really only went for Harry Potter. Razz

And that was a LONG walk in.
FlareonMaster
FlareonMaster
Ultimate Poster
Ultimate Poster

Xbox Account

Back to top Go down

Post by Desmond Miles Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:33 pm

i wanted to go to that too but we didnt go to islands of adventure.

went on the mummy returns ride. that was awesome lol
Desmond Miles
Desmond Miles
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Xbox Account
Gamertag:

Back to top Go down

Post by FlareonMaster Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:34 pm

It's funny because I ended up actually going there on Friday. But only in the morning and went straight to Harry Potter. lol

Left by lunch.
FlareonMaster
FlareonMaster
Ultimate Poster
Ultimate Poster

Xbox Account

Back to top Go down

Post by Desmond Miles Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:36 pm

i like the part designed to look like new york. that was really cool.

BEN AND JERRY'S WOOOO
Desmond Miles
Desmond Miles
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Xbox Account
Gamertag:

Back to top Go down

Post by FlareonMaster Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:53 pm

That must be the other side of the park. I only visited Island of Advenures lol
FlareonMaster
FlareonMaster
Ultimate Poster
Ultimate Poster

Xbox Account

Back to top Go down

Post by TerseRat5204 Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:12 pm

I've been to both

Last edited by TerseRat5204 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
TerseRat5204
TerseRat5204
Captain
Captain

Xbox Account

Back to top Go down

Post by FlareonMaster Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:24 am

Really? And what is it like in Botched?
FlareonMaster
FlareonMaster
Ultimate Poster
Ultimate Poster

Xbox Account

Back to top Go down

Post by TerseRat5204 Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:26 am

Dont know what your talkin about

Last edited by TerseRat5204 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
TerseRat5204
TerseRat5204
Captain
Captain

Xbox Account

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle Eye307 Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:00 am

I heard that Botched is pretty awesome.
Eagle Eye307
Eagle Eye307
SE Administrator
SE Administrator

Xbox Account

Back to top Go down

Post by Desmond Miles Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:35 pm

yep also wanted to go there too but just didnt have the chance lol.

maybe ill go to botched next time.
Desmond Miles
Desmond Miles
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Xbox Account
Gamertag:

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle Eye307 Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:25 pm

Dovahkiin wrote:yep also wanted to go there too but just didnt have the chance lol.

maybe ill go to botched next time.

I'll go with you! Very Happy
Eagle Eye307
Eagle Eye307
SE Administrator
SE Administrator

Xbox Account

Back to top Go down

Post by Stormageddon, Dark Lord Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:45 pm

Stormageddon, Dark Lord wrote:Hardware > software
Hola Peoplez: Hardware VS Software. Yep - Page 3 Bears_repeating
Stormageddon, Dark Lord
Stormageddon, Dark Lord
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Xbox Account
Xbox Live: No
Gamertag: Too poor to afford one
Clan Tag: Srsly

http://walkingdead.net/perl/euphemism

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustaf Herod Apyur Poupr Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:49 am

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, and also Siege (explained later).

I hate to bump this topic (HA!) but I've been missing my quota for being a massive jerk-bag recently, so I found this!

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1665920/hardware-engineer-software-engineer.html

It started out pretty derpy

Software Engineer is like a middle Management whereas Hardware Engineer is like the blue collar workers. Not a good analogy.

It's up to you and how you feel working with electronics, parts, components, in a hands-on environment much like an inventor whereas Software tends to be more intense on the brain having to think more about scripting and sitting at a desk staring at a screen 16 hours a day (7 days a week), than putting "lego" together..

I've done programming for about 15 years but in different fields, not even an expert even though I did achieve Distinction in Visual Basics (Dip IT), much of that knowledge goes by the wayside in todays' environment. I've done javascript. VB6, HTML, VBA for Ofice, but those sorts of things are just the tip of the iceberg, Software Engineer would most likely be for making machines work, or writing full programs for an industry rather than just a program for a small retail oufit.

You'd need to go talk with the people in the industry to actually understand and appreciate the work involved.

Edit -
I'd just like to add than many software developers (and programmers) do tend to forgo Error Handling which is a big problem in the final product (patches, updates etc) so if you are keen to learn programming languages and software development, try not to use terms like
"On Error got to 0", handle the expected (or unexpected) error as it should be done.

The problem with error handling is that it does add about an hour or so to the scripting (sometimes days for extra large scripts) and the file size can, at times, more than double (sometimes 10 times larger in size than the original scripting) what would otherwise be a small executable. But that's programming for you, either you do it well the first time or do it badly and add patches and updates.

But the ending was really high quality

(In response to previous quote)

This is why hardware engineers secretly despise software engineers. Here's the low-down, this software engineering guy has no idea was real hardware engineering is. Most sophisticated electronics are made as INTEGRATED CIRCUITS which means that everything is manufactured at the nano scale and you can fit a lot of transistors into a small area. All that is done on the computer. There is a huge design cycle that goes on between Specifications, Architecture, Logic Design, Circuit Design, Layout, Floorplanning, Verification, Timing, Signal Integrity, and more. It's very exciting but a very difficult field to get into because it REQUIRES an advanced degree 90% of the time.

This lego [CENSORED BUT ORIGINALLY ACCURATE] he's describing is DISCRETE CIRCUITS with DISCRETE COMPONENTS. Outside of power delivery or analog circuitry that's not how things are done. Any and all digital circuits today are being made on INTEGRATED CIRCUITS. Again, it's a lot of CAD and signal timing. Something software engineers would know nothing about.

Software engineering on the other hand is truthfully not that hard. Even hardware engineers design most of the chip functions using programming languages like Verilog and VHDL. Software engineers act like their job is so hard, but in my experience I NEVER found a programming course to be difficult. Most of the world's best software companies were started by college dropouts. The hard part about software is the rapid rate of change. There's hundreds of programming languages and more being added all the time. An employer might ask that you know about XYZ coding language but you only have experience with A, B, C. It never ends and thus was never appealing to me at least. The actual coding part is not that hard and something I COULD DO in my sleep. 50% coding 50% testing, guess which part doesn't usually get done?

Your move Siege!

I'm still not over the fact the first quote effectively said people receive Ph.D's in lego building.

P.S. I think I reached my D-Bag quota for the month already. And by D-Bag, I of course mean Dinosaur Bag.

Mustaf Herod Apyur Poupr
Corporal
Corporal

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle Eye307 Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:16 pm

I agree that the first guy doesn't really understand hardware engineering. He even admits in his post that he has only worked with extremely high level programming languages (in fact, I wouldn't even call HTML and Javascript programming languages). Also based on his post, I would guess that he doesn't have much experience with top down design, which can and should be applied to both hardware and software engineering. So I doubt that he even understands what it means to be a software engineer, which is a lot more than a code monkey. In my opinion the fields really aren't that different in the sense that you are designing and implementing a system to accomplish specific tasks. You must have good logic and problem solving skills to be successful at either job. However, you will get more sub-par programmers since it's a lot easier to get into software development than it is hardware (meaning that as a hardware engineer your options are mostly limited to large companies that expect certain educational standards to be met, whereas any bloke with a computer can start typing code). So in many cases "code monkeys" who haven't had formal training will give programmers a bad name because they haven't taken the time to learn proper practices and techniques. In my opinion, good hardware engineers will understand the basics of software and good software engineers will understand the basics of hardware.

With regard to the line about coding being easy and how he could do it in his sleep, I would say it all depends on what he's coding. If it's something trivial like a basic data structure or a GUI (which is just time consuming, not logically challenging) then sure, it's a piece of cake. But I would like to see him program a cutting-edge artificial intelligence or a dynamic path-finding algorithm so easily. It's not learning/writing code that's hard, it's the problem solving. Software engineers aren't paid for their knowledge of C++, but rather for the solution of complex problems. The programming language is just a tool they use to get their jobs done.
Eagle Eye307
Eagle Eye307
SE Administrator
SE Administrator

Xbox Account

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustaf Herod Apyur Poupr Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:46 pm

Eagle Eye307 wrote:I agree that the first guy doesn't really understand hardware engineering. He even admits in his post that he has only worked with extremely high level programming languages (in fact, I wouldn't even call HTML and Javascript programming languages). Also based on his post, I would guess that he doesn't have much experience with top down design, which can and should be applied to both hardware and software engineering. So I doubt that he even understands what it means to be a software engineer, which is a lot more than a code monkey. In my opinion the fields really aren't that different in the sense that you are designing and implementing a system to accomplish specific tasks. You must have good logic and problem solving skills to be successful at either job. However, you will get more sub-par programmers since it's a lot easier to get into software development than it is hardware (meaning that as a hardware engineer your options are mostly limited to large companies that expect certain educational standards to be met, whereas any bloke with a computer can start typing code). So in many cases "code monkeys" who haven't had formal training will give programmers a bad name because they haven't taken the time to learn proper practices and techniques. In my opinion, good hardware engineers will understand the basics of software and good software engineers will understand the basics of hardware.

With regard to the line about coding being easy and how he could do it in his sleep, I would say it all depends on what he's coding. If it's something trivial like a basic data structure or a GUI (which is just time consuming, not logically challenging) then sure, it's a piece of cake. But I would like to see him program a cutting-edge artificial intelligence or a dynamic path-finding algorithm so easily. It's not learning/writing code that's hard, it's the problem solving. Software engineers aren't paid for their knowledge of C++, but rather for the solution of complex problems. Coding is just a tool they use to get their jobs done.

Wait, wait...

Eagle Eye307 wrote:(meaning that as a hardware engineer your options are mostly limited to large companies that expect certain educational standards to be met, whereas any bloke....

bloke

Oy govenah! Yore not bri-ish meit! You knackered it!

But I agree with what you said. Also getting mate right in spelling with a British accent is difficult. I Wanted it to sound how you would pronounce moy-t but that sounds too far from may-t. I think I could have made it work if english used Ä (Æ) as well as A, but alas, it does not.

Mustaf Herod Apyur Poupr
Corporal
Corporal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next