Shining Epiphany
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nintendo 3DS - Portable Video Game Console Review

2 posters

Go down

Nintendo 3DS - Portable Video Game Console Review Empty Nintendo 3DS - Portable Video Game Console Review

Post by FlareonMaster Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:39 pm

Nintendo 3DS System Review:

Ever since its release, the 3DS has been noticed as one of the greatest portable gaming devices ever made, possibly the best out there right now. At first, many people, including myself were wondering how the 3D effects would work, especially considering no glasses are required. The first time I saw the 3DS was a few days after its release, at a Walmart in Concord NH on display. I immediately disliked the system, due to its weak video game on display (PilotWings Resort, a 3DS version of the mini game from Wii Sports Resort) and the full on 3D display that seemed quite blurry to adjust to at first glance.

Past that moment, I didn't want to give the 3DS another chance because of my bad experience when I first saw it. Then about a month and a half ago, I saw gameplay of the classic remade game "The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time" and I must say, it took me way off guard. The graphics for the portable 3DS were amazing and far succeeded the N64 and for most games coming soon, even the Gamecube/Wii graphics couldn't compete with the 3DS's graphics. I learned of games coming out for the system (Super Mario Land 3DS, Mario Kart 7, Sonic Generations and Super Smash Bros. 3D) and looked further into the system. I remembered from first experience that I felt the 3D effects were awful, but knew it had a slider so that you could simply turn off the 3D all together, and took into consideration the games coming out for the system and the graphics it had. When it came right down to the point, I knew this system had potential.

I finally broke down and saved up money to buy the system, which I bought last Thursday, but I only had enough for the system itself. Ocarina of Time, the only game out currently that I personally want to buy, I still have yet to get. So, I open up the system about a minute after I leave Gamestop and turn it on. First thing I notice is a semi-large internal scratch in the 3D screen. I immediately head back in and exchange it, after proving it was damaged. This was only a manufacture mistake thankfully. This time however, I opened the Aqua Blue 3DS in front of the sales clerk and this one, unlike the model I bought minutes before, was in perfect shape and is the one I own currently. So, now down to the hardware and features of the system, followed by the good and the bad.

Features:

The 3DS model isn't any normal Nintendo DS, simply remade in a new fashion to obtain a fresh new audience of fans to buy the newest model such as the DS Lite, DSi and DSi XL were. This system is completely new with new games meant only for this system. It features a larger screen on the top which doubles the space compared to the DS Lite or DSi, but is about 25% smaller than the DSi XL's screen. The bottom screen is the same size as all previous DS models except for the XL. And the best apart about this, is that the top screen is bigger, but the entire system itself is as small and thin as the DS Lite, which IMO was the best original DS system due to its slimness and sleekness.

This newer model features an Analog stick for the first time ever on a Nintendo Portable device, as well as three cameras (two on the front for 3D pictures and one on the inside to take pictures of yourself for certain games). You can take pictures quick and easy simply by tapping the left or right trigger, or for more features, you can take pictures in the 3D camera app. The entire body of the system has a nice, almost scratch free design, similar to the 360 Slim outer-body. The stylus is hidden in the back once again (which hasn't happened since the very first DS) and the plus to this one is, it is much smaller, but extends to be much bigger than any previous DS stylus. And as always, you do not need the stylus to use the touch screen, in fact most games don't even need the touch screen. And to me, one of the best updates is the Home button. At any time (except when playing classic DS games) you can click the home button and see the 3DS dashboard, and then by re-clicking the home button, you can return to your game without losing any data.

There are multiple internal features as well, such as two games that come with the system (Face Raiders and AR Games) Face Raiders being an awesome and addictive game that takes a picture of yourself or a friends, to have them entered into a virtual world where you use your 3D cameras as a battlefield, where you fight the faces to the death and their bosses. In other words, you move the 3DS system to aim (yes, this system has motion controls!) and see the real world behind the virtual one on the screen by use of the cameras. It gets harder every level. AR Games is a new way of playing, as you simply put down a card given to the system and it becomes your stage to play certain games such as archery. So both Face Raiders and AR Games use the real world with a virtual world on top of it. The system has a built in MP3 player using memory from an SD card (2GB SD card included with the system, already inserted) Mii Maker, Mii Plaza and an activity log which shows how many steps you have taken while holding the system and what games you have played and for how long you have played them. And after a system update, you also get access to a web browser, chat room and a Nintendo EShop for apps, classic games and movies. Yes, Netflix is downloadable where you can watch movies in 3D. Also not to forget to mention DS Download Play returns for 3D games or classic DS games. When using the classic DS Download Play, you return to the same menu that you had in DS and DS Lite.

The Good:

Remember how I originally believed the 3D to be awfully done? Well, it must have been because I wasn't directly in front of the system while testing it out and the only way I could have done so, is if I got on my knees to play the display. The 3D (when within one foot) looks very well done and features similarities to 3D baseball cards if any of you have owned or seen one. And if the 3D gives you a headache, you can always turn off the 3D using the slider, however I personally have had no issues from use of the 3D. The dashboard reminds me much more of a real way of playing video games, with a more Xbox dashboard type of feel, but with a Wii way of seeing it. The graphics are amazing and the new buttons (Home and the Analog stick) make gaming much easier and with a built in mic, well here is hoping for a good game chat which they have talked about adding in a future update, perhaps when Mario Kart 7 releases? There isn't much not to like about this system after personally owning one. It has a natural feel to the system and is small enough to take basically anywhere with you. The charging dock is also a very nice touch, (charging dock included) all you do is plug the dock in and leave it there. Whenever you need to charge your 3DS, no problem! Just place it down and it starts charging without plugging it in. Classic DS and 3DS games work great on this system as well.

The Bad:

One flaw I have noticed is that all classic DS games don't fit the full top screen, only fitting as far as a classic DS or DS Lite would have. So, roughly when playing DS games, it is the same size as normal. Another flaw is that YouTube does not work on the web browser, (including the mobile YouTube website) however aside from this, the web browser works very well. And as for YouTube, they might very well fix this in an update very soon. Any child under the age of six can also not play with the 3D in use, as it could hurt their vision. Nintendo has directly stated this before the release of the 3DS and were smart doing so, since they still sold millions of copies of the system instead of having conflicts. And thanks to the 3D slider, well, you can turn it off easily. The 3D screen itself seems to be the only thing that scratches easily, which is why I immediately bought a screen protector and have had no problems since. I also got them due to my scare from the first model I got that must have had a manufacture problem.

What To Look Forward To:

There will definitely be more updates, improving the system. And I believe a game chat will be added (if it has not already) this fall with the release of Mario Kart 7, but this isn't confirmed, just a theory. There are also notable titles releasing soon as well as a few out already, in no precise order.

Video Games:
Super Monkey Ball 3DS: Released
Super Street Fighter 3DS: Released
Nintendogs and Cats 3DS: Released
The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time 3DS: Released
Star Fox 64 3DS: Releases Friday
Super Mario Land 3DS - Releases November
Kid Icarius - Uprising: Releases Soon
Sonic Generations: Releases Soon
Mario Kart 7: Releases November
Super Smash Bros. 3DS: TBA

Systems:
Aqua Blue 3DS: Released
Cosmo Black 3DS: Released
Flame Red 3DS: Releases Friday
Other Colors (Green, Purple, Orange): TBA

Should I Get It?

Well, if you have ever been a Nintendo fan and want an online experience that actually works with a portable device and not to forget to mention certain games coming out for this system, well I'd get it if I were you. However, if you have never really been a Nintendo fan, I'd wait to see what happens. It is well worth the money now that the price was dropped to $170 and there are great games are on their way! So thanks for reading this review and if you already own a 3DS, hit me up!

3DS Friend Code:
1075-0942-1734
Name:
Jonathan/Flarey Depending (Unclear of What Name is Shown)
FlareonMaster
FlareonMaster
Ultimate Poster
Ultimate Poster

Xbox Account
Xbox Live: Yes
Gamertag: FlareonMaster
Clan Tag: V03

https://www.youtube.com/JonOlson94

Back to top Go down

Nintendo 3DS - Portable Video Game Console Review Empty Re: Nintendo 3DS - Portable Video Game Console Review

Post by Salmarnir Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:34 pm

One of these days, when I have spare money, I'm gonna replace my DS Lite with a 3DS. The only thing I'd like to point out is that the touch screen on a DSi is also bigger than that of the 3DS, but only by a little bit. Nice review though, it gives me something to think about over the next year or so.
Salmarnir
Salmarnir
General
General

Xbox Account
Gamertag: Mr Brandybuck
Clan Tag: V25

Back to top Go down

Nintendo 3DS - Portable Video Game Console Review Empty Re: Nintendo 3DS - Portable Video Game Console Review

Post by FlareonMaster Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:54 pm

Really? I never realized the DSi had a bigger touch screen. However, in my defense, that is the only model someone in my household that no one has owned.
FlareonMaster
FlareonMaster
Ultimate Poster
Ultimate Poster

Xbox Account
Gamertag: FlareonMaster
Clan Tag: V03

https://www.youtube.com/JonOlson94

Back to top Go down

Post by Salmarnir Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:29 am

That's fair. The screen is probably 1/4 of an inch bigger, which is noticeable but not that big of a deal.
Salmarnir
Salmarnir
General
General

Xbox Account
Gamertag: Mr Brandybuck
Clan Tag: V25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down